Gallery Route One’s annual Box Show is on in Pt. Reyes Station.
The Box Show is a major fundraiser for Gallery Route One in Pt. Reyes Station in west Marin County.
The basic process is this: Each participating artist is given an unadorned pine box. You can pretty much do anything to it as long as elements of the original box remains in the piece (this could potentially mean that the box is dismantled, ground to dust or even burned).
Molly and I have worked as a team on boxes for the show for (an astonishing) 28 years according to my current reckoning!
Artistically, Molly and I comes from two different aesthetic worlds.
She’s an SF Art Institute trained painter (primarily portraits) and I’m a black ‘n’ white graphics guy, tending usually toward comic art.
So, our team-ups are always odd mash-ups, sometimes tending to lean towards her sensibilities, sometimes mine. This year’s entry was pretty elementary. I imagined an ISS style space station and Molly shrugged and said sure.
I started with a scribble of an idea.
I penciled and inked my two astronauts.
Ditto for the space station (my cartoon space station is seriously inaccurate to the real International Space Station--- but it fit on the box !)
I spent a great deal of time doodling all sorts of ISS style equipment in the interiors.
I dropped the “walls" in to be adhered.
I inserted our astronauts with supports from behind so that they would float appropriately.
The show runs from August 29 to Sept. 26th
Closing reception Friday September 25, 5-7pm
Gallery Route One can be found at 11101 Highway One, Ste. 101
Point Reyes Station, California
galleryrouteone.org/boxshow




















No comments:
Post a Comment