Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Big bucks in cartooning

I found an envelope in my mailbox containg a check. That's always nice but it was from some agency in Virginia that I didn't recognize. At first I was a little befuddled. Flipping through the paperwork, I slowly began to put it together.

It finally dawned on me that I was holding in my hand the rarest of artifacts for a has-been cartoonist---a royalty check.

Some months ago, I had signed a contract with a company granting digital use rights for work I had done some 30+ years ago in underground comix.

I was now receiving $1.23 for long ago appearances in Mondo Snarfo and Commies from Mars and as much as $3.70 for such titles as Yellow Dog and Corporate Crime Comics for a combined total of $22.19.    And they say there's no money in cartooning.

The truth of the matter is that the check brings me some good cheer and satisfaction. It indeed feels good to get paid--even a meager buck and (almost) a quarter--for past accomplishments.

--Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment