Sunday, December 29, 2019

Larry’s Art Vault: TV Art Instruction

For some reason Molly and I have become recepients of Bob Ross gift items.


Such as the Bob Ross ’Self-Painting Mug’.


And the legendary Bob Ross vinyl figurine ...


We are, at best, on the periphery of the Bob Ross universe (Molly teaches painting; I organize art shows).  He’s become a pop culture icon for a current generation.

But long before Bob Ross there was Jon Gnagy--the grandaddy of TV art instruction.


I once wrote on this site:

"Molly got her BFA at the San Francisco Art institute.

Me—I got my art education with Jon Gnagy.”

Pretty much the truth.   Bob Ross seems to have promoted 'happy accidents'. Gnagy dealt with fundamentals. 


You could (and I did) draw with Gnagy on a weekly basis by watching his TV show-- following along in the Learn to Draw book while using the Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw art kit.


Here’s a couple of  Gnagy booklets:








Here’s a basic nuts-and-bolts art lesson from his classic book:







If Bob Ross has aided people in their understanding and enjoyment of art, good for him.
Me, I’m still holding out for the Jon Gnagy action figure.

For  more on Jon Gnagy on this blog go to:

(January 22, 2012 post)


Images copyright to respective owners


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete