Monday, February 26, 2024

Barbara Lawrence and Sherry Petrini in the Maurice Del Mue Galleries

I’m still organizing art exhibits in the Maurice del Mue Galleries of the San Geronimo Valley Community Center, Marin County, every month.

 

For whatever reason, I‘ve become lax about posting those monthly shows on this blog. (We’ve had some really good ones in the last year).  To attempt to correct this a bit here’s what we’re currently showing: The work of Valley artists, Barbara Lawrence and Sherry Petrini.

 

                                                If this Chair Could Talk


Barbara Lawrence is an award-winning artist and teacher, working in pastels and oils, specializing in our local landscape and our natural and manmade environments. 

 

                                                              Red Hill

Barbara writes of her work “I started making art before understanding what I was doing. Art was just part of life since the beginning, watching my father make his living as an artist. As far back as I can remember, I only wanted one thing: be an artist too. Once I purely painted for beauty, serenity, and the love of nature, inspired and driven by these powers to put color on canvas. Over time, my reasons to paint have deepened.  I now not only attempt to capture the essence of the moment to share the changing qualities of the life and environment surrounding us, but I now also work as an historian, documenting this moment in time.”

 

                                                     Old St. Marys


Bumper Crop
(Aside from the admirable painting of chrome in the bumper, check out theself-portrait in the reflection)

  Barbara has an art studio/gallery in the Art Works Downtown building on Fourth Street in San Rafael.


 

Waiter

Sherry Petrini, exhibiting in the Valley Room, received her MFA from the SF Art Institute. She’s exhibited in numerous shows with the Community Center including the annual Spring Art Show as well as other galleries and venues throughout the Bay Area. 


Staircase with Figure

Red Desk

Trumpet Player

Sherry writes of her work: "Trying to escape the bleakness of my early life and the restrictions caused by a serious disability from before memory, I create in my paintings environments where I can encounter the creative, rich life of the spirit. Without my consciously intending to do so, many of these recent works are set in Europe where I traveled many times in my young adulthood to assert my independence. I work quickly, delineating forms with simple lines. The pictures are also touched by the dilapidated charm of darkness and humor caused by the tension between aspiration and unavoidable accident".


Amsterdam

Artwork copyrighted by the respective artists


No comments:

Post a Comment