Sunday, April 21, 2024

Trina Robbins August 17, 1938 – April 10, 2024

I’ve struggled for some days thinking about what to write about Trina, how to write about Trina.

 

I find looking at other tributes and memorials (in print and on social media) that I’m not alone in that. 

 

Trina’s impact on people has been significant.  As a cartoonist, 

 


as a “herstorian” of culture, 



but also through her individual engagement and attention. She could be blunt, challenging and supportive all at the same time.

 

Trina was a part of my youthful days as a cartoonist in San Francisco during the “Underground’ comix scene. 

 

Hector Tellez, Trina and me

                                                (Photo copyright Clay Geerdes Archives. Courtesy of David Miller)

 

Cartoonists back in the late ‘60’s early ‘70’s, often shared living spaces (It wasn’t that easy to get by in those days, with the current realities of the City I can only image how difficult it is now).  I bounced around the Mission district in this manner and wound up sharing a flat with Trina along with cartoonists Leslie Cabarga and Sharon Rudahl.  

 

             Flyer drawn by Sharon Rudahl, me, Leslie Cabarga and Trina           announcing our move from Guerrero Street to 15th Street circa 1975


As a young cartoonist, living with that crew was a good education. We spent a lot of time hunched over drawing boards in our respective studio-bedrooms. We took turns making dinner and doing house chores. 

 

It was just a couple of years or so, but Trina’s influence has stayed with me for decades. She was powerful, intense, idealistic-- and passionate about her work. She was also always curious and supportive of the creative work of others (that’s not always a trait commonly found in artists). 

 

I attempted to keep up on the news of her illness and was readily accepting (perhaps otherwise known as denial) the reports that she was “improving”, largely because it aligned with my perception that she was a fighter and that she would rally.  Trina spent much of her life successfully fighting uphill battles, I’d hoped this would be another one. I think most people who knew her assumed she was destined to live to 100.



My condolences to Casey Robbins and Steve Leialoha.


No comments:

Post a Comment