Monday, September 1, 2014

Molly's Turn Again - Larry's portrait


 This painting is from one of my most favorite photos of Larry, taken many years ago when my daughter's mouse, Violet, was alive and well. She was a sweet mouse and Larry, goofing around one day, set her in his (then dark and long) beard - so of course I had to take a picture. I'll paint a more current version of Larry (with his now short and gray beard) soon but I always liked this photo so much and wanted to do a collaboration with Larry that would show his wacky images. With much cajoling he drew these wonderful wacky guys coming out of his head.
I painted the portrait this past June and we posted it here on our blog, but I never quite felt that it was right.  I finally realized that it needed a true color background, the oatmeal behind Larry's images was too similar to the background I had chosen for his portrait. I am so pleased now with the blue behind his crazy images. 

Larry, drawings from his imagination, and Violet the mouse

If your interested in my Beginning Acrylic Painting Portraits & Animals class taught at Riley Street Art Supply, San Rafael or in my home studio please feel free to contact me --Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment